Sun Room Repairs

    Something that I didn’t know was that if you have old wooden windows that need repair, your local family run hardware store will cut you new glass and even repair the windows.  Our sun room has 7 windows that all need attention.  They all have either cracked or broken glass along with pealing paint.  With new windows costing roughly $200.00 a piece, we needed to fix these windows up so that we could replace them gradually.  I measured the glass that I needed for the windows and then picked them up from the hardware store down the street.  Lets go in and see what we did!

“Ooh Coool”

This is no good.

    I removed both sashes from the frame by carefully taking off the molding around the window.  That was how these sashes were being held in place.  I then laid them on the floor and sanded them down.

The second piece pictured above was rough.  All of the wood holding together the little panes was rotted out.  I decided I was going to get rid of that wood and replace it with just one big window pane, like the other portion.  With some hand tools, I carefully removed the rotted wood.

After I got all of the old wood out, I sanded both sashes down the best that I could.  Nicole and I applied two coats each on each sash with some white, exterior semi-gloss paint. 

Once the paint dried, we placed the new glass into each sash carefully, and then inserted several push points around the glass to secure it in place.   I say carefully because my first attempt was a failure in that I held the glass wrong and it snapped, resulting in a dash back to the hardware store 15 minutes before they closed.  Total waste, but you live and learn.  The push points can be bought at your local hardware store for a few dollars.  When the glass was in place, we took our caulk gun and went around the glass with some window glaze to seal the deal!

Push points will secure the window in place.

    The window glaze takes about 2 hours to dry.  After that, you can carefully put your new windows back up!  Our first home project was a success.  We also replaced the cheap light on the porch with something a little bigger and better suited to the size of the house. 

And yes, we bought that special “bug away” yellow light bulb.  Thanks, Billy the Exterminator.  Ridiculous.  Amazing, yet ridiculous.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s